It’s here! We’re on our way to the NFR! We’re in the Denver airport waiting for our connecting flight! Just had a few travel hints for you today!
So far, Lon the 61yo Iowa farmboy has said “this is interesting” about 50 times. We knew he didn’t get out much but we love him. He’s been having a great time watching people as we navigate through the airports on our way to Vegas. Can’t wait to show him the bright lights of the Las Vegas Strip tonight — and Cowboy Christmas tomorrow!
- Pack comfortable shoes, maybe two pairs. Two years ago, I thought i’d be cool and wear a new pair of boots on the way to Vegas. My plane was delayed — and I did a bunch of standing in the airport. By the time I got to Vegas I had a blister on each foot — and I spent every day in Vegas wearing moccasins. You don’t want that to happen to you!
- Take a suitcase with rollers. The new part of McCarran Airport in Vegas is HUGE and there’s a lot of walking both before you pick up your luggage at baggage claim and after you pick up your luggage. Suitcases without wheels will get pretty heavy!
- After you get your luggage at McCarran — you’ll go outside. The cab lines are marked — and usually have about 100-200 people in them. No worries — they move quickly. Depending on where you are – it may be a bit of a hike to the cab line — another reason for comfortable shoes.
- If you’re renting a car – you’ll look for the rental car shuttle. Once again there’s likely to be a line — but generally the buses arrive pretty quickly. When you get to the rental place, it’s huge so just follow the signs. After you drive out of the rental car lot, it’s 3 right turns to the Las Vegas Strip!
- The noises on the slot machines are tempting at the airport — but I read somewhere that those machines are some of the least generous machines in Vegas! Keep moving, you might find a generous machine when you get to your hotel.
5 minutes to boarding — I’ve gotta go! Have a great time — and I’ll be back tomorrow! See you at the rodeo!